A Note from the Pastor
"A Prayer for Reconciliation"
by Germain Copeland
This is part of a prayer for racial reconciliation that our Prayer Team read last week as part of our prayer time. It was brought to us by one of our prayer warriors. We feel it is appropriate to share. It was mostly written by Germain Copeland and adjusted to fit in our newsletter. On this day that we celebrate our country, let us pray this prayer together as diverse people united in love of God and neighbor.
"Father, in the name of Jesus we come before You, asking Your forgiveness for being intolerant of one another because of the colors of our skin. Forgive us for tolerating prejudice in the household of faith. Set us free from the influence of public opinion that we may live out our glorious, Christ-originated faith. Forgive us for segregating ourselves by color, by a measure of wealth or intellect. We are all Your children, the sheep of Your pasture. You made us, and not we ourselves.
We call for an end to division and segregation in Christ's family - may there be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male, and female. Among us we are all equal. That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ.
Thank you, Father, for bringing us together in Christ through His death on the cross. The cross got us to embrace, and that was the end of the hostility. Lord, Jesus came and preached peace to us outsiders and peace to us insiders. He treated us as equals and so made us equals. Through Him we share the same Spirit and have equal access to You, Father. The Kingdom of faith is now our home country, and we are no longer strangers or outsiders. We belong here.
Father, You have called us all to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so we will stay together, both outwardly and inwardly. We have one Master, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all - Who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything we are and think and do is permeated with oneness. By love we serve one another.
Thank you, Father, that prejudice is being rooted out of the Body of Christ, in the name of Jesus. Amen."
God Bless the U.S.A!
Living in God's Grace,
Pastor Ruben Velasco
Join us for Communion at Home this Sunday, July 5th during our online service!
Don't forget your bread & juice!
SUGGESTIONS FOR A BETTER WORSHIP EXPERIENCE
from Pastor Ruben Velasco
I know worshiping at home in front of a computer or television set is not the same as worshiping in person. I know my family struggles to have the same discipline and commitment to stay focused during service as we do when we are in church together. This is our new reality for now, but we also know this is temporary.
Here are a few suggestions I pray will help you during worship until we can be safely together again:
- Start your worship time with your own personal prayer. Ask God to help clear your mind to have the right mind set for worship. Ask God for what message does God have for you that day.
- Set your "worship" time for the same time every week. This helps you set a pattern. We have families that worship together during the week not just on Sunday's.
- Try to worship with others. Call your whole family together who live in the same house. If you live alone call other church members or family and friends who live far away to worship with you.
- YouTube seems the best way to experience our Church service. Facebook is good as well, but it comes with some distractions.
- The advantage of worshiping with Facebook live at 9AM, 11AM or 5PM is that you can join others at the same time and chat with them.
- Find a room that you will use every week to become your worship room.
- Prepare your worship area with items that connect you with God. You can make this into a fun event.
- Bring your Bibles and read along. Write down the passages and meditate on them through out the week.
- Do not just sing with us but think about the message of each song.
- Set aside any distractions.
- Let us know you have worship with us. The easiest way is Facebook live chat or go to our Facebook page and drop us a note.
If you have not already done so, please "Like" us on Facebook
and 'Subscribe' to our YouTube
channel. It helps us spread the message!
Strategic Leadership Team dated June 25, 2020.
REPORT FROM TRANSITION TEAM
Our Transition team, which is made up of approximately 25 church members and staff, are in discussion with Pastor Ruben and our Strategic Team about the right time to return to safe LIVE WORSHIP IN OUR SACTUARY. We do not have a date yet because, as most of you know, this VIRUS is very hard to predict and understand. Our plan is to do things in phases.
Phase 1: Record live broadcast of our worship services in our Sanctuary on Sunday morning. Our Pastor, musicians, ushers, and some staff will do both our worship services on Sunday morning. We will use this time as a "test run" so that we can safely prepare to return to full live worship with the whole congregation.
Phase 2: Open our Sanctuary for live worship with some of our congregation. We will limit the number to 25% of our maximum capacity during both worship services while having everyone wear masks and practice social distancing as well as other recommended measures. We highly encourage those of you who are in the HIGH-RISK categories to please stay home and continue to worship with us through Facebook, YouTube and our Website.
Phase 3: Safely return to full live worship with the whole congregation. We will take the appropriate measures given at that time to remain safe. We believe this will happen once a vaccine has been created and made easily accessible to all. We pray this will happen in the not too distant future.
The Transition team understands the yearning we all have to be together in fellowship. In addition, we know many of us are in need of spiritual guidance and time in our beautiful Sanctuary. We encourage you to continue to watch our services, pray with others, read your bible, join a Zoom small group, reach out to Pastor Ruben and reach out to each other to find comfort.
Please pray with our Transition team as we move through these phases while living with the unpredictability of these times. We are being extra cautious because we believe this is "how we love our neighbor".
for an UPDATED encouraging message from the UMC Conference dated June 26, 2020.
On June 11, over 400 of you joined us for a webinar with Dr. Fred Southwick, an infectious disease expert who attends a Florida United Methodist Church. Here
are some key things he shared that may help augment your returning to in-person worship plan.
KUMC CONTINUES ITS NON-PERISHABLE FOOD
AND CLEANING SUPPLIES COLLECTION FOR FAMILIES IN NEED!
Thank you for your continued support of our food & supplies collection! The recent donations have been dropped off to Branches in Florida City.
Food insecurity continues to be on the rise in South Florida. We are still collecting non-perishable food items and cleaning supplies. You may drop off donations any day/time in the blue bins placed under the large awning in front of the doors leading into the Church Sanctuary (bins will be emptied daily). The food items will be distributed weekly to one of the food bank agencies which KUMC supports (CPHI, Branches, and COFFO/Migrant ministry). If you are able, you can donate online securely on our website www.kendallchurch.org and specify FOOD BANK on your donation.
Please note that the blue bin will be disinfected every day and every precaution will be implemented during the collection and distribution process. At this stage, this food collection has no end date.
If you and your family are in need of any assistance during this time, please contact us at info at kendallchurch dot org.
Please keep safe and know that if you are able to help with these items, it will be a blessing to our brothers and sisters in Christ!
Our PRAYER TEAM
has developed a prayer calendar. You can read scripture DAILY with us and be in focused PRAYER with each other. We also gather every Wednesday on Zoom to pray.
- Send us your prayer request to our Request Prayer page.
- Contact Pastor Ruben with any thoughts or prayer requests. You can reach him directly at (305) 304-0107 or by email.
- Keep in touch with the people you usually sit next to at church. Have you signed up for the Servant Keeper Online Directory yet? It is easy and a great way to stay connected!
- ZOOM BIBLE STUDY "DISCUSSIONS ABOUT GOD & LIFE" - Every Wednesday from 7 pm - 8 pm Pastor Ruben leads a Bible Study using Zoom. If any of you would like to join, please email Pastor Ruben so he can send you an invitation.
- If you are part of a small group or want to create a new KUMC small group, you can host your own Zoom meeting. It is easy and we can help you do it. Get in contact with us!
Here are some groups you can join via Zoom:
- Prayer Team - Wednesdays | 2 pm
- Wednesday Night Discussions about God & Life | 7 pm
- 'LIVE' Young Adults - Fridays | 7 pm
- Youth Group - Wednesdays & Fridays | 7 pm
- Couples Group - 1st Friday of the Month | 7 pm
- Facebook live Worship Chats - Sundays | 9 am & 11 am
- Bible Study groups that meet Sunday mornings | Koinonia & Word Processors
- Serendipity - Sundays | 1 pm
We know many of you are struggling financially.
You might have lost your job, or your pay has been cut. These are challenging times, but you are not alone. Please show grace to each other and together we will get through this. If you are blessed with work and are financially able, we ask that you remember your church with your offerings. You can mail a check to us, drop it off in our mailbox right outside the South Office Hallway door, or go to our website and give securely online
. If you cannot give at this time, please pray for us and help us reach people with God's love.
JULY 6 - AUGUST 14
Camp Mustard Seed kicks off this Monday! We are looking forward to see you climb aboard a fun-filled adventure to explore how Jesus' power pulls us through life's ups and downs. We are following all the CDC and local authorities’ guidelines to make sure our campers, teachers and staff are safe!Remember, there is no registration at the door! Please call the Camp Office if you wish to hop on this adventure!
Join us on the "Rocky Railway"
where kids climb aboard a faith-filled adventure to discover that trusting in Jesus pulls them through life’s ups and downs. Rocky Railroad is full of incredible Bible-learning experiences, fun games, and cool Bible songs that help faith flow into each kid's life. This fun-packed summer camp also includes weekly in-house field trips. Please download the registration packet here
and return the required documents to the Camp Office.
Please note that summer camp will be very small this year. Make sure to turn in your registration form AND payment ASAP to secure your spot at camp!Camp Mustard Seed
Monday - Thursday
10 am - 3 pm
(305) 667-0343 ext. firstname.lastname@example.org
Building D, Room 20
A MESSAGE FROM OUR YOUTH DIRECTOR
Hello to all of my KUMC YOUTH PEEPS,
Wow, what a crazy time this has been for all of us. It seems like it's been forever since we've met as a group...a family. Let me say that I miss you all very much. We don't yet have a date as to when we will be re-starting our get togethers, but I will definitely keep you posted as to when and what and how we will be doing it. I can't wait!!!
We are still having our meetings on ZOOM...Wed & Fri nights from 7-9 PM. As for now, it's what we have. I can't stress the importance of fellowship, which is why I encourage each one of you to join us either Wednesdays or Fridays or both, if you can. It's so important for us to come together as we encourage each other with God's word. We really need to lift each other up, especially during these times.
Please remember that I am always here for you...so feel free to DM, text or call me at any time!!! Also, let me know if you have any prayer concerns.
Also, let me know of any ideas or thoughts of any topics that you'd like to talk about.
Remember to social distance, wash your hands and wear a mask when in public!
I look forward to seeing you at our ZOOM Meetings!!! Send me a message through @kumcyouth305
or email@example.com so that I can send you an invite. Also, please message me your prayer concerns via our secure Contact Form
In His Love,
HELP KUMC WHILE SHOPPING ON AMAZON
Amazon customers can now support Kendall United Methodist Church in the Amazon shopping app on iOS and Android mobile phones! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into 'Settings'
- Tap 'AmazonSmile' and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
If you do not have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app, update your app. Click here for instructions.
Not using the app? No problem - Just click this link
or copy and paste the URL into your browser: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/59-0909326